10/03/2009

NFL Week 4 Picks

Since I was in Pittsburgh this last weekend to help my dad finish his basement, I missed ALOT of football - and I'm not happy about it. Regardless, I still did better with the picks than I did in week 2. I know it's cheating, but I'm going to reset my record so that Lauren, Will and I all have the same number of games picked against. Without further ado, let's take a look at how we did.

Steelers (-4) at Bengals
I might be one of the few Steeler fans that isn't destroying paper towel dispensers at Sheetz (wait, that was just Jeff Reed, my mistake). I don't think they are in that much trouble even though they decided to take about 5 years off my life with two late collapses in a row. It finally comes out that the secondary is less than ordinary without Polamalu, he needs to come back soon.
Me (0-1)
Will (1-0)
Lauren (0-1)

Colts (+3) at Cardinals
You might have had to be certifiably insane, a die-hard, biased Cardinals fan (I'm looking at you Will), or just not know anything about football to lay points against Peyton Manning when he's playing a mediocre at best team... just saying. This game wasn't even close and probably could have been worse if Bob Sanders was on the field. Side note, how long can you stick with someone that's injured more than their healthy? I understand that he is one of the best safeties in the league and - like the Steelers and Polamalu - he makes the defense go from zero to stout just by stepping on the field, but when you're games played total reads 4, 15, 6, and 0 (this year) you have to think that the Colts need to start thinking about parting ways so that they can use that money to get someone that might not be as good, but will be much more reliable.
Me (1-1)
Will (1-1)
Lauren (0-2)

Falcons (+4) at Patriots
Picking against the Patriots in this situation - coming off a tough loss and playing at home - in the Brady-Belichick era is like picking Appalachian State over a powerhouse like Michigan... wait, bad example. Either way, Brady looked a little better and we're now seeing that the Falcons aren't nearly as good when Ryan has to throw more than usual. Also, I'm a little worried about the Patriots wide receiver situation without Wes Welker. It looks like he will play this week, but wow, they don't have much depth in many positions this year, do I dare question their ability to make the playoffs? Not yet, but if they get bitten at all by the injury bug, we could have a repeat of last year.
Me (2-1)
Will (1-2)
Lauren (1-2)

Redskins (-7) at Detroit
What does it say about the state of Redskins football that if it weren't for the Ravens/Browns game, I would have taken the Lions in my suicide pool over the Redskins (as in, taking the Lions straight up to win outright)? They have a front office that rivals the Lions and the Raiders, a head coach that thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread, and a bunch of overpayed players who mostly seem to be "signed and retired" (that's NBA speak for someone that signs a big contract and proceeds to mail it in until their next contract year). Big win for the Lions though, but I'm not sure if I allow my players to go out and celebrate like they just won the Superbowl. Especially since it is well documented that many of the players on last years team aren't around this year and that will only lead to an attitude of "we won a game, season's over."
Me (3-1)
Will (2-2)
Lauren (2-2)

Panthers (+9) at Cowboys
I should have never underestimated Jake Delhomme's ability to throw a pick 6 at the end of the game to graciously allow the Cowboys to cover the spread. Furthermore, after watching 3 quarters of this game Monday night on and off - including the pre-game introductions - I'm more convinced with my view that the new Cowboys stadium is a slap in the face to real NFL fans. The glamour and spectacle of Jerryworld is just a gigantic distraction from a lackluster on the field product.
Me (3-2)
Will (2-3)
Lauren (2-3)

Since the games will be on in about 30 minutes, I'm just going to post our picks for the week without going into detail - I hope the two people that will read this aren't too disappointed. 

Chargers (+7) at Steelers
me steelers
will chargers
lauren steelers

Ravens (+2) at Patriots
me ravens
will ravens
lauren patriots

Jets (+7) at Saints
me jets
will saints
lauren jets

Packers (+4) at Vikings
me vikings
will packers
lauren packers

Seahawks (+11) at Colts
me colts
will colts
lauren seahawks 

1 comment:

  1. Well - since we didnt pick week 5, I think we should just say that I went 5-0, and you and Lauren both went 0-5. Deal.

    Actually, thats not fair. I pick every game against the spread anyway, so lets look at how 5 likely games would have turned out. I took the Steelers (-10.5), and Im sure you would have too. They were playing the Lions. If they dont cover...they should kill themselves. Oh wait, Ben Roethlisberger was on Monday Night RAW. Maybe I sould've factored that in somewhere. We both lose. Will & Ray (0-1). (I cant make assumptions for Lauren)

    I took the Cardinals (-5.5). The rest of America likely is not as jaded or stupid. Imagine my joy as the Cardinals came up huge on goal line stand to save the game and cover the spread. This is of course glossing over the minute detail that the only reason they had said goal line stand was by blowing a 21-0 halftime lead....details. A win is a win and a Cards win is never pretty. Never. Will (1-1). Ray (0-2).

    In my world, we would also have picked NE (-3.5) at Denver. I would have gone Pats b/c I drink the Kool-aid (OHHHHHH YEAH). You, seem to always do the opposite. Therefore, Will (1-2), Ray(1-2).

    Looking at the lines, the next obvious choice is the Monday Night Game. The 5th game that we would have done is debatable, but we would have likely gone with the Sunday night, Colts and Titans game. So lets go there.

    I dont bet against Peyton in Prime Time. Call it my PPT theory, not to be confused with Dicky V's PTP designation. I dont know where you go here, the line was Colts by 4.5. I think we both go Colts. Will (2-2), Ray (2-2).

    Last up, Monday Night. The Jets (-1.5) at Miami. I have no confidence in Chad Henne. Writing that made me cringe. He killed it. In a game that I could really not care about, I took the Jets. This puts me at my usual (2-3), although I would like to say, I finihed (8-6) overall this week... Hopefully one of us saw through the Rex Ryan hype and got a glimpse of the horrible clock manager that he was deep down. Ray (3-2)

    ReplyDelete